A lot of the time I feel like new ideas and possible unique designs are falling out of my head into a black hole as I don’t have the time to keep up with home life much less new ideas. Usually they invade my mind while I am trying to fall asleep. Not the best time to happen since I fall asleep and they are gone forever, absorbed into my dreams and forgotten. Although, I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to make something I’m sure is the next “Pet Rock” or some beautiful jewelry piece….only to find 10 pages of a similar creation on Etsy.
Then there are times when I can’t think of a single thing to work on and my mind is a total blank! Usually when this happens this is what I do….
1. 1. Surf Etsy or Artfire for ideas or inspiration. But lately it seems like there is the same old stuff there and I need fresh inspiration. This is when I go to YouTube.
2. 2. I love YouTube. I type in my area of interest and up come a bazillion videos! You can probably find out how to make a desk out of a roll of Charmin on there! The ideas and “how to’s” are seemingly endless.
3. 3. Another great way to peak my interest and get my creative juices flowing or just trickling along is the new site I recently found. http://pinterest.com/ I try not to check out this site unless I have about 3 hours to do absolutely nothing! It is incredibly addicting! (((Don’t click on the link yet….you’ll quickly become obsessed and never come back and follow my blog or enter my contest above!))) LOL
4. 4. Flickr!! I’m sure you have heard of flickr. I absolutely LOVE looking through the photos for ideas and inspiration. There are some very talented people on flickr.
5. 5. Finally, keep a pad of paper with you (small enough to fit in your purse) so you can write down all those great ideas that pop into your head at inopportune moments. Like when you’re waiting in line at the store, waiting in traffic, waiting to pick up your kid from school, waiting at the doctor’s office. Hmmm, we seem to wait a lot. Or keep it by the bed so you don’t have to jump up and get on the computer in the middle of the night. You can just jot it down in the notepad and go back to sleep!
******Do you have any tips to share on how you overcome “Creator’s Block”?